Tuesday, August 22, 2006

"Snakes on a Plane"

"Snakes" wildly entertaining

Friday. 3:00 p.m. My phone rings.
It is Ben Gougeon… friend, actor, fellow lover of crappy, yet immensely entertaining movies (i.e. “High School Musical” – yay summer 2006). So, it was no surprise to me when he called and said, “dude, let’s go see ‘Snakes on a Plane.’” I admit, at first, I was a little concerned about spending $7 on a movie that I would ultimately hate. Turns out, this was the best decisions I have made in a long time…

I will start out by making this statement:
I have never been so motherfuckin’ entertained in a motherfuckin’ movie theatre.

It truly is the “Rocky Horror” of our generation. Seriously. I mean we (along with the frest of audience) were laughing, screaming, quoting, clapping… I am talking everything! I have never had so much fun seeing what was essentially bad movie. Let’s face it; he plot is awkward, the acting is special (Jackson made me laugh consistently although, I am not sure I supposed to), script and direction is pretty poor, and sometimes things got a little unrealistic. However… I honestly believe the creative behind this movie knew exactly what they were doing. Ok, yes, a few things set it apart from a real film, but I really don’t think it’s trying to be one. I think it’s trying to be exactly what it was marketing itself as: a cult classic slash summer popcorn flick slash faux horror thriller. It succeeds admirably.

“Snakes” really gives you everything you wanted from a movie like this on a silver platter. New Line has created a successful “for the people” movie and kudos to them. It’s definitely not going to be on anyone’s “top list” at the end of Oscar season nor will it garner any award noms, but it’s not trying to. And maybe that’s the best part about. That and the creativity in its, to quote Peter Travers’ “motherfuckin’ marketing campaign.”

So, please, do yourself a favor and see this one. Really. It’s worth it…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home