Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Pradas & Pirates

DEVIL WEARS PRADA

Small-town girl Andrea Sachs (Anne Hathaway) gets a job working in New York City for Runway fashion magazine, where she has to cope with a high-powered, dictatorial editor, Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep).

So, I LOVED this movie. LOVED. Streep is on her game here, a supreme knockout. Hathaway holds her own against her as does the rest of the supporting cast. Truth be told I had no interest in seeing this flick but a bunch of my friends were making the trip so I went along... and I am extremely happy that I saw this one. When it's like $10 at Family Video, I'll buy it...



PIRATES 2 - DEAD MAN'S CHEST

Capt. Jack (Johnny Depp) owes a blood debt to the legendary Davy Jones (Bill Nighy), captain of the dreaded Flying Dutchman. He threatens to curse Jack to an afterlife of eternal servitude and damnation if he can't settle up. Soon-to-be-married Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) join Jack on a quest to find the Dead Man's Chest, which may contain a treasure that Jones will accept as payment.

This took two viewings for my to totally appreciate everything about this movie. First time? Not so impressed, expected a lot more from what became one of the favorite films of 2004. Still loved things about... but I guess I went in expecting far more. Second time? I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I sat back and loved nearly every minute of it. I can't really explain it...
Two quick things:
*Still LOVE Depp with a immense passion
*Still HATE Bloom with the same immense passion

Final thought:
I wonder if they should have stopped while they were ahead? I fear for the third installment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home