Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Off the shelf...

I had some free time last night so I checked out two films I haven't seen in a while... and I highly reccomend revisiting them...

SLEEPERS
I haven't seen this since 1999 (three years after its release)... I was really too young to fully appreciate it then. It's amazing. The ensemble members are terrific (Pitt, Bacon, Crudup, Eldard, Patric, etc) but it is astonishing to watch Dinero and Hoffman in these subtle supporting roles. Dinero understates everything a the boy's father figure Father Bobby ... and Hoffman plays drunken attorney Danny Snyder (his court room scenes are freakin' brilliant)...
This is the kind of film that inspires aspiring actors like me. Such brilliance...

ROAD TO PERDITION
I LOVE this film... Mendes, you are a God.
It's a cool, old fashioned crime story. I love this noir type of stuff. Hanks (in one of his best) and Newman are riveting... and Jude Law gives one hell of a nuanced performance as well.
Interesting to note that Newman's character is based upon real life gangster John Looney who was originally from Rock Island (Quad Cities... where I grew up)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home