Monday, May 29, 2006

PILLOWMAN Diaries: Part Three

I always hear actors talk about those moments of intense realization, amazement… those “wow” moments in their careers that really define their work. I have been lucky enough to have a few - in 2001, working on a Walljasper original that was to open on 9/11, in 2004 with Sean Leary’s Your Favorite Band, and earlier this year with WIU’s Harold and Maude directed by Ray Gabica….

The Pillowman is now on that list…

It has been one of, if not the, best experiences I have had artistically. I think it has everything - the script, the cast, the staff… EVERYTHING. Ok, maybe not a huge budget… but fuck that. Who needs it when you’re creating this kind of electricity.

I am playing Michal Katurian, a rather psyhocologically complex individual who was tortured most of his childhood. It’s truly one of the most interesting characters written for the contemporary stage in the last few years. The character is really forced to run gamut of human emotions within a span of about 50 minutes. It’s an incredible piece of work. It’s also VERY satisfying… it’s not often you get to play EVERYTHING in a play, let alone a single scene. Tears, laughter, anger, tenderness… it’s all there. It’s BRILLIANT…

It’s one of the most artistically satisfying roles I have ever played…
A role of a lifetime. (A cliché statement, I know… but work with me here!)

I am fortunate enough to have WIU alum Adam Michael Lewis playing my brother Katurian. Lewis could not be a more generous actor if he tried. He is an incredible actor. An amazing individual. He is so honest… and supportive. He’s everything you could want in a co-star. There are moments that are so real on stage that I get lost in the moment… and I have to try to remind myself “hey, we’re doing a play here… remember all of your lines!” He’s that real.. He’s that committed.

It’s performers like him that justify why I am going to WIU…

In addition to Adam, the show features Tom Walljasper, Chris Browne, Carrie Clark, and Gary Baker. Walljasper has been one of my favorites for years. He’s a very intense, very specific actor… and is always doing stuff. And as a professor of mine has said “acting is doing and there is always more to do.” This man definitely gets that. Tom is very much a stage version of Al Pacino. By that I mean he loves detail work. You can tell. He is always doing, pretending… he never lets up. Ever! He is truly one of the finest actors in the area. And Browne is really something special. Well known for his rather comical performances at Playcrafters, he has not been given too many chances to really let loose. He’s definitely let loose and is not turning back. I have always loved Chris’ work… and seeing him in this role is making me realize that I love it even more.

In addition we have Gary Baker working for us again! There is no one like him… he’s really into whatever he is working at the time and because of it does very solid work. He’s meticulous. He’s a perfectionist. And… he’s always there and ready to work. Gary is one of the best in the area.

I am really thrilled that I talked Sean Leary into directing this. He’s really taken the show to a whole new level with innovative concepts and rather laid back directing style. Sean is really what all actors want: someone who lays out the skeletal work but lets the action be fluid and natural. That’s what he’s all about. Sean was also amazingly free about letting the actors find their characters. Some directors (and those who go to WIU will know exactly who I am talking about).. Some directors enjoy giving you EVERYTHING. They know that you do this one thing well and make you use it rather than letting you explore. Sean let us explore and I think the result was a powerful exploration into the minds of these characters… and that resulted in a some VERY STRONG performances. For me, that has really helped shape what I consider to be my best work yet…

It’s all very inspiring…
It’s a good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home